Monday, April 16, 2007

Crack in the wall...

In my attempt to become an organic stand up comic, I was trying to derive all my material out of my head in one sitting, which a seasoned stand up comic could probably do. But who knows? My ability to create a joke is impeded by over-thinking and just plain old writer's block.

Little did I remember that I have always been keeping comments, asides, ideas, that come up in my life in a handy-dandy little black book. And I neglected to remember (until last night, when I hit a wall) that I already have a bunch of material written down in a petite black notebook. In fact, I had two notebooks fullgraduating to my second by 2005. (Moleskine's1--they're my favorite. Did you know Kafka used Moleskines? Yeah...yeah. Using a Moleskine is my attempt at feeling like an intellectual. Isn't that an oxymoron?--"feeling like an intellectual.")

So while in the middle of my white knuckled panic attack afraid that I wasn't going to be able to achieve my goal of having material by the end of the weekend, I found book #2 and casually thumbed through the pages. As most comedians would say, "I'd struck comedy gold!" I had already compiled a bunch of things that ticked me off, made me nervous, confused me, and was now ready to turn it into a concrete set.

In a way, I feel like I'm cheating myself, because the material didn't come from toiling away digging deep withing the annals of my subconcious. But it did come from me wisely continuing my comedy bookkeeping from year's past. And during those years, there was some work (i.e. inspiration) involved.

So what do you make of it? Did I violate the creativity pact?
Did I cheat to complete the mission?
You be the judge.

~Lucy

1Moleskine [Official Website|Official Blog|Wikipedia][Return to Entry]

Did you enjoy this post? Buy me a warm cup of joe.

No comments: