Tuesday, April 3, 2007

1st time on stage

So I finally got on stage and "performed." It was more of a fumbling act, but I did it. I had been told by several comics, that if I didn't hurry up and get on stage, I would lose my initial momentum. So within a week of my quest, I was on stage, in front of audience of about 5-7 people. Mild laughs. My jokes were "too wordy," according to the feedback received from the Emcee. I pulled him aside and asked how I could improve. He mentioned writing out all my jokes, verbatim, and then leaving a line of space underneath each sentence. (Essentially writing double-spaced.) Then he said to edit using only what's necessary to tell a joke.

Wait a minute! You're telling a writer she needs to lessen the number of words she uses? Why don't you just cut off my left while you're at it?

He made that suggestion, and immediately I understood. Most of writing is editing. And the best writers can edit their work, too.

It's going to be a long hard road, this comedy. But I'm in it for the long haul!

~ Lucy

Did you enjoy this post? Buy me a warm cup of joe.

No comments: