Sunday, June 24, 2007

Evolution of the comedy set...

...When is the next great standup going to come along?...


On Home Box Office (which I am allowed another week of, before it gets shut off), a Seinfeld Special, an award show specifically made for Seinfeld was aired. I love anything Seinfeld appears on. If Seinfeld shows, I'm there. (If they would only invite me.) I happened to steal front row seats in my shack apartment to watch Jerry Seinfeld: The Comedian Award, hosted by Anderson Cooper. The guests were Robert Klein, Chris Rock, Garry Shandling.

Here's a clip that is straight out of bootlegger's assemblage.

My impression of comedy after watching this award show has again changed. Not in a good way or in a bad way---just an emergence, a bit of a revelation--perhaps a different glimpse of what comedy really is. Like any other form of entertainment, comedy is evolving. It's constantly changing--constantly morphing into different forms.

After watching this 1/2 - 1hr show, I was inspired. I love to hear the "inside scoop." What are comedians really thinking? What do they think of [fill in the blank]?"

According to Jon Stewart, there's nothing more un-funny than hearing a comedian break down (explain) a joke. But to me, it's fascinating!

Speaking of Jon Stewart, I also saw not one, but two interviews with him. One was more comedic based than the other, so I'll make mention of that comedic one here. (Perhaps I'll mention the other in a later post.)

Jon Stewart, when he's not in character, is soooo charming. Within a moments notice, my pants would slip right off if he even accidentally glanced in my direction. His charm is evidenced in this clip, Sit Down with David Steinberg, a TV Land cable show. [You'll have to excuse the web ads--hey a business has to thrive, right?]

There's another great interview with Seinfeld on Sit Down with David Steinberg. Seinfeld asks the question, "When is the next great standup going to come along?... Where are the guys trying to push us out?"

But at the same time, I remember having conversations with comedians during my comedy runs, and they would bring up the same topic but argue it on a different slant--mentioning that comedy is saturated. There are too many comedians out there. This says to me that maybe you aren't that good, or that your comedy is basic and not though-provoking. Perhaps, you're not pushing the envelope. So in essence, I agree with Seinfeld-- who's comin' up?

It's my mission to be the one to fill their (the great's) shoes.

~Lucy

Did you enjoy this post? Buy me a warm cup of joe.

5 comments:

Cidersweet said...

I love Jon Stewart too - IN character and out of!!

Anonymous said...

So much of the Tv Jerry Seinfeld we know is Larry David, not to say Jerry Seinfeld the standup is not funny because he is.
I had a funny Seinfeld moment earlier this week and all I could think of was the crazy whacked out mind of Larry David when it happened.
I was at the Dairy Queen picking up a quart of vanilla to bring home, on the counter they had a tip jar..well just like on the show I found myself making sure the girl knew I dropped a tip in the jar. When I realized I had done it I couldn't stop laughing at myself thinking of George being upset the guy didn't see him tip.
To me this is the funniest type of comedy, everyday things around us contain humor and they are something all of the audience can relate to.
George Carlin is a master at this.
I am not a fan of jokes, I usually don't laugh at them but a funny story or commentary by a comedian can crack me up.
tc

Anonymous said...

oh by the way I wouldn't worry about posting 3-4 times a week, that's an awful lot.
I'd rather you take some of that time and work on your standup unless of course you have a lot you want to say then go for it.:)
tc

Steve said...

I agree, the comedy that makes me laugh loudest of all is observational - especially when it highlights a truth about my/own dumb behaviour!

WDKY said...

I loved the Seinfeld clip. So understated, and so smart...

I'm not sure that Jon Stewart affects me in quite the same way that he affects you, though.