Thursday, July 19, 2007

"Needless to say..."

You know what? I can't stand that phrase "...needless to say..." It's a phrase that means nothing. It especially means nothing when it's uttered. In fact, as soon as it's spoken, it's lost all meaning.

If it was truly "needless to say," you wouldn't need to say it, would you?

In fact, in order for that word to be useful, we (all of humanity) would have to be clairvoyant. Because only in psychic circumstances would it truly be "needless to say" anything. We would all just instinctively know what it is that you want to communicate.

I have a slew of other phrases and overused idioms that I will be adding to this list. Feel free to comment and build upon the list, so that perhaps we all can end the useless phrases atrocity together.

Oh... and here's my latest comedy set. It kind of blows, so beware!




*+*+*+* IF YOU ENJOYED THIS POST, THERE'S MANY MORE TO COME--GET FREE UPDATES BY EMAIL or RSS.

Did you enjoy this post? Buy me a warm cup of joe.

5 comments:

The Brown Blogger said...

Keep that coming...

Jameil said...

huh. larious. i always interrupt people when they start like that and say "so don't say it." another girl always says "i know this is mean but.." say it or don't. no time for flip floppin. also hate "no offense but" oh but you do mean to offend.

Lucy Dee said...

the brown blogger - "Keep that coming..." -

I know. I know. No pressure!

jameil1922 - I used to do that, too, to my friends. But then THAT became annoying to them. (I tend to lose a lot of friends that way.) So now we have a happy medium of neither of us saying either and pretending those phrases don't exist.

golfwidow said...

"Need I say more?"

Hell, you didn't even NEED to say that much.

Also, "I hate to say this ..."

No. No you don't. You love to say this. You just hate to admit that you love it.

Lucy Dee said...

golfwidow - Thanks for the new "useless" phrases. Much appreciated. I'll add it to the list.